12-18 mths How to encourage HEALTHY DEVELOPMENT for your child
HELPING GROW HEALTHY, HAPPY CHILDREN
At this stage your child is starting to walk and gain confidence in their balance and movement. They are constantly on the move and there is never a dull moment.
In this video we look at 3 areas development that you as a parent or caregiver can focus on – physical, emotional and cognitive.
- Physical Development
- By this time we should be starting to see your baby walking. Its important that we help encourage this active movement, especially if they haven’t yet hit this developmental milestone.
- Provide toys that your baby can push around and use to help them as they gain confidence and balance.
- Active play is an essential part of daily life for your baby at this stage of their development. Go outside to kick and throw a ball around. Run around on the grass in the backyard or at the park, to encourage your baby to do the same.
- At this age we don’t want to encourage the use of screen time. Keep it at a minimum.
2. Emotional Development
- Reward good behaviour with consistent praises.
- Tell your baby what you want them to do, not what they shouldn’t be doing, again reinforcing good behaviour.
- Describe and talk through emotions with your baby. Even though at this stage their brain hasn’t developed the ability to process emotions appropriately.
3. Cognitive Development
- Pretend play is excellent in encouraging creativity and imagination with your child.
- Books filled with animals, shapes, numbers are a great way for your baby to start learning.
- Puzzles with large shapes for appropriate for this age where they can learn to put things together.
- Point to things when walking or driving. Encourage them to point to things and then describe them.
- Rhymes and clapping games are also a wonderful learning tool and lots of fun.
- Your baby will be starting to say more and more words so keep encouraging them. Lots of consistent chatting with them and involve them in your conversations.