Day 25 PROS Posture Month – Strengthen Mid Back
Strengthen Mid Back
What is often missed with tight and rounded shoulders is to strengthening a weak mid back. If you feel you are rounding your shoulders then you may need to strengthen the mid back.
With changes in posture we find that some muscles will tighten and others will weaken, because they are being over stretched. In this case when we are sitting for the following tasks:
- Relaxing on couch
- Txt/scrolling on phones/iPad/laptop
- Jigsaw puzzles and so on
The muscles that we see tense up and tighten are the muscles at the front of the chest, in particular the pectoral muscles. Sometimes people feel that they have heart problems as the pain my confuse people. Obviously heart issues may need to be ruled out. Secondly we see a weakness of the mid back muscles.
In this video we are showing you one way to strengthen the mid back muscles, those muscles in between the shoulder blades. There are different levels of this exercise, so do what feels best for you.
Here is what you need to do:
- Lay down on your front on the floor. To make it more comfortable for you, use a yoga mat.
- Lift arms up and bend elbows. Your elbows are pointing out to the sides.
- Put your forehead on the floor. Alternatively you can rest your forehead onto your hands.
- Gently lift your elbows up and tighten in between your shoulder blades
- Hold for 4 seconds
- Repeat 10-15 times
To advance this exercise:
Lift your head and legs off the ground too as you lift your arms up. Hold for 4 seconds and gently lower down.
If you feel pain in your mid back, low back or shoulders with this exercise, then stop and speak to your practitioner.
Let us know how you go.