Day 12 of PROS Posture Month – Can you do a Wall Angel?
Can you align your spine against the wall?
Can you then do a wall angel with your arms? Give it a go. It’s not as easy as it looks, but don’t give up if you can’t. Practice the move daily and watch that flexibility improve.
Here is what you need to do, just follow these steps:
- Stand with feet shoulder width apart and heels about 10cm away from wall.
- Have your bottom touch the wall
- Have your mid back/shoulder blade area touch the wall
This is what you should find…..
- Feel the back of your head naturally touch the wall. If not, how far forward is it? Now try bringing your head back to touch the wall. Still unable to touch the wall? Then it is advised that you see your health practitioner,
HEADLINE 1: Great posture means your head SHOULD touch the wall.
- Try bringing your arms up to an ‘angel’ posture, where your upper arms are horizontal and elbows bent to 90 degrees.
KEEP REST OF SPINE AGAINST THE WALL Can you do this? Lifting of the mid back away from the wall, may indicate an issue with shoulder mobility or upper chest flexibility. Please contact your health professional for further assessment.
HEADLINE 2: if you can’t do this then there may be an issue with:
- Increase mid back curve (hunching)
- Forward head posture. In a neutral side posture, ear should sit over mid point of the shoulder.
- Tension in shoulders. Constant rolling in of the shoulders is often seen with poor posture. This can cause tension in the front of the shoulders.
- Shoulder blade problem. Repetitive hunching over phones and other devices can lead to weakening of the mid back and shoulder blade muscles.
- Tight pectoral muscles 💪
As already mentioned, feel free to message us if you have any questions. Our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
Give it a go and let us know if you can do a wall angel 💥..